Source: Matthew Eisman / Getty
Sources are saying that Boyz N The Hood director John Singleton has passed away after suffering a stroke at 51 years old. Singleton was in a medically induced coma at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in L.A. earlier this morning when rumors circulated that Singleton was being taken off life support.
Born in 1951, Singleton became the first black director and the youngest director ever nominated for Best Director for his work on his landmark 1991 film. A Los Angeles native, Singleton’s early films such as Boyz N The Hood and Poetic Justice focused on coming of age in the the early ’90s California. In 1992, he directed another landmark in entertainment and film, Michael Jackson‘s “Remember The Time” video.
Singleton returned from Costa Rica earlier this month and complained of problems with his legs. He checked himself into the hospital and suffered a stroke on April 17. Family originally characterized the stroke as mild but Singleton’s mother Sheila Ward, is asking for a judge to appoint her temporary conservator because he’s “unable to properly provide for his personal needs for physical health, food, clothing, or shelter.” It was revealed Singleton had been in a coma on April 25.
Singleton’s filmography includes Rosewood, Higher Learning, Shaft, Baby Boy, and 2 Fast 2 Furious. He was also instrumental in a number of projects such as FX’s Snowfall. He was an advocate of black directors throughout Hollywood and dared Hollywood to green light more films and black stories told by black directors.
He is survived by five children.
- TriState Strong Getting to Zero
- Black American Woman Says She’s Being ‘Deported’ From Bali ‘Because Of LGBT’
- Movement To Award Capitol Police Hero Eugene Goodman The Congressional Gold Medal Gains Steam
- How Kamala Harris’ Style Will Set The Tone Of Her Vice Presidency
- Video Model Lanisha Cole Got King Cannon Tat with Nick Cannon (Photo)
- First Lady Melania Trump tweets farewell (Video)
- Save Money during Penguin Days at the Cincinnati Zoo
- Rihanna Drops Valentine’s Day Savage x Fenty Campaign (Photos)
- Ohio: Two Ohio Residents Are Facing Federal Charges
- Denzel Washington: Got Teary-Eyed Over His Son Showing Him Love
- Bow Wow Feels ‘Singled Out’ By Mayor Sylvester Turner Over COVID-19 Violations At Club Events