February 3rd marks the anniversary Congress ratified the 15th amendment granted African American men the right to vote in 1870, it wasn’t until 1920 when African American Women we able to vote in the United States. When you add the years, African-Americans have been able to vote for longer than most have been living but this did not end suppression at the polls.
Get Breaking News & Exclusive Contest in Your Inbox:
Over the years voters have been turned away at the polls while trying to vote for various reasons. But there are things you can do to make sure your vote counts. Below are ways you can make sure you aren’t turned away at the polls.
- Ask the poll worker to double-check for your name and make sure they are spelling it correctly.
- Ask the poll worker to check the state-wide voter system. This is available in some states and could help if you are trying to vote at the wrong location.
- Ask for a provisional ballot. According to the ACLU, “All voters are entitled to a provisional ballot, even if they are not in the poll book.” After election day, an investigation on your voter status is conducted and if you are in fact a valid voter, your vote will be counted.
- If you are denied a provisional ballot, you have the right to call the Election Protection Hotline (1-866-OUR-VOTE or 1-888-VE-Y-VOTA) and the U.S. Department of Justice Voting Rights Hotline: 800-253-3931; TTY line 877-267-8971.
- If you are having issues during regular business hours, call your county clerk, elections commissioner, elections supervisor; or your state board of elections for further assistance.
This Is America: See The Countless Reports Of Voter Suppression In Georgia
1. Epic Lines
Source: 1 of 10
Happen to know anybody who could do this in Georgia? 🤷🏽♀️ no voting at my dads polling site pic.twitter.com/zEyQmXwEq2— DG911 2lite (@_2lite) November 6, 2018
2. Three Voting Machines
Source: 2 of 10
Ready to wait? Hundreds of voters stand in line for hours this morning at this SW Atlanta polling place. Only three voting machines! What’s going on here? Live report at noon. pic.twitter.com/lewTPUZnf1— Tom Regan (@tomreganWSB) November 6, 2018
3. 4.5 Hours To Wait To Vote…
Source: 3 of 10
I’m at Annistown Elementary School in Snellville, GA, where hundreds of voters have waited 4.5 hours to vote today because electronic voting machines weren’t working pic.twitter.com/4BJLYVtiEL— Kira Lerner (@kira_lerner) November 6, 2018
4. Common Is Offering Help…Source: 4 of 10
5. Good Samaritans Are Feeding People Waiting In Lines…Source: 5 of 10
6. Voter Points Out The Smooth Lines In A White NeighborhoodSource: 6 of 10
7. A Comparison To 150 Years…Source: 7 of 10
8. NAACP Releases A Statement
Source: 8 of 10
BREAKING: It is imperative no one be denied the crucial right to vote because of a county’s failure to provide properly functioning voting machines.— Legal Defense Fund (@NAACP_LDF) November 6, 2018
Read our letter calling to extend the voting hours in Gwinnett County, Georgia: https://t.co/BVNmyWjC0g #GeorgiaVoting pic.twitter.com/UxJTNhYpqn
9. More Voters, Less Workers…Source: 9 of 10
10. Even Eric Holder Is Speaking Out…
Source: 10 of 10
4.5 hour waits in African American districts in Georgia. Good job Kemp. No one is surprised. And this guy wants a promotion to Governor? Be strong Georgia and vote for Stacey. @staceyabrams https://t.co/uW8c76CiWR— Eric Holder (@EricHolder) November 6, 2018
- Presale Tickets for Nelly Music Series Available August 26!!
- Gabrielle Union Fuses Athleisure And Sparkles In Her Latest Stella McCartney Look
- Cincinnati: A Motorcyclist Crashed In North College Hill
- Biz Markie: To Have A Street Named After Him
- Telfar Unveils New Duffle Bag And Discusses The Launch Of Telfar.TV During NYFW Press Conference
- Video Shows NY Restaurant Deny Service To Family Claiming Religious Vaccine Exemptions
- Wendy Williams Hospitalized For Psychiatric Evaluation While Also Battling COVID
- T.I. & Tiny Avoid Sexual Assault Charges Due To Statute Of Limitations
- Met Gala Recap: HB’s Editors Highlight The Best & Worst Fashion Moments
- Hot Spot: Should Lil Mo Forgive Fat Joe For Calling Her A Dusty B**ch Who Lives In A Crackhouse?
- Toni Braxton Gives Us Lewks In A Vibrant Christopher Rogers Dress