February 3rd marks the anniversary Congress ratified the 15th amendment granted African American men the right to vote in 1870, it wasn’t until 1920 when African American Women we able to vote in the United States. When you add the years, African-Americans have been able to vote for longer than most have been living but this did not end suppression at the polls.
Get Breaking News & Exclusive Contest in Your Inbox:
Over the years voters have been turned away at the polls while trying to vote for various reasons. But there are things you can do to make sure your vote counts. Below are ways you can make sure you aren’t turned away at the polls.
- Ask the poll worker to double-check for your name and make sure they are spelling it correctly.
- Ask the poll worker to check the state-wide voter system. This is available in some states and could help if you are trying to vote at the wrong location.
- Ask for a provisional ballot. According to the ACLU, “All voters are entitled to a provisional ballot, even if they are not in the poll book.” After election day, an investigation on your voter status is conducted and if you are in fact a valid voter, your vote will be counted.
- If you are denied a provisional ballot, you have the right to call the Election Protection Hotline (1-866-OUR-VOTE or 1-888-VE-Y-VOTA) and the U.S. Department of Justice Voting Rights Hotline: 800-253-3931; TTY line 877-267-8971.
- If you are having issues during regular business hours, call your county clerk, elections commissioner, elections supervisor; or your state board of elections for further assistance.
This Is America: See The Countless Reports Of Voter Suppression In Georgia
1. Epic LinesSource: 1 of 10
2. Three Voting MachinesSource: 2 of 10
3. 4.5 Hours To Wait To Vote…Source: 3 of 10
4. Common Is Offering Help…Source: 4 of 10
5. Good Samaritans Are Feeding People Waiting In Lines…Source: 5 of 10
6. Voter Points Out The Smooth Lines In A White NeighborhoodSource: 6 of 10
7. A Comparison To 150 Years…Source: 7 of 10
8. NAACP Releases A StatementSource: 8 of 10
9. More Voters, Less Workers…Source: 9 of 10
10. Even Eric Holder Is Speaking Out…Source: 10 of 10
- Erica Campbell & Roland Martin To Host Urban One Honors May 16th On TV One
- ‘What Is Justice?’ Daunte Wright’s Family Demands Full ‘Accountability’ In Wake Of Kim Potter’s Arrest
- 74-Year-Old Grandmother Sues Oklahoma City Police, Says God ‘Spared’ Her Life After Cops Broke Her Arm
- Cops Transport Family Of Army Sergeant To Safety After He’s Captured Assaulting A Black Man
- White Anti-Mask Driver Flees, Hits Minnesota Cop ‘Hanging’ From Truck With Hammer And Isn’t Killed
- Nina Parker Announces Her New Plus-Size Collection With Macy’s
- Jennifer Lopez, Alex Rodriguez Split After 4-Year Relationship
- The Undressing Room Presented By Macy’s Ep. 11: “How’s It Goin’ Down” [Listen]
- Common ft. PJ “What Do You Say,” Lakeya ft. Gucci Mane “Poppin” & More | Daily Visuals 4.14.21
- ‘We Are Grateful For Your Support’: Family Announces Death Of 12-Year-Old Who Partook In ‘Blackout’ TikTok Challenge
- Kierra Sheard Shares Details From Her New Book “Big, Bold & Beautiful” [EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW]