The country is taking racism out one step at a time after Fredericksburg, Virginia removed a 176-year-old slave auction block from its downtown.
In 2017, a local NAACP chapter called for the block to be removed because it “was a relic of a time of hatred and degradation, according to WRAL.com.
Text “RICKEY” to 71007 to join the Rickey Smiley Morning Show mobile club for exclusive news. (Terms and conditions).
Due to the coronavirus pandemic, the process had been delayed but the block was uprooted from the ground and removed this morning (June 5).
“As the only minority on City Council, I felt the weight of the world on my shoulders,” Councilor Charlie Frye said. “The people of the City never walked away from the table, never stopped talking to each other. This was huge – and it felt great because I came from ancestors who were never heard.”
The block is set to be relocated to the Fredericksburg Area Museum.
Here Are The Changes Already Made Due To The George Floyd Protests
1. Los Angeles, California: City Officials Cutting $100-$150 Million From LAPD Budget, Funds To Be Reinvested In Communities Of Color1 of 15
2. Philadelphia statue of Frank Rizzo that stood in front of the Municipal Service Building has been removed.2 of 15
3. The Statue of Confederate General Robert E Lee Will Be Removed3 of 15
4. The 6 Atlanta Police Officers Who Used Excessive Force Arrested4 of 15
5. UNITY: All 50 States Protest For Justice5 of 15
6. Progress - Portland Discontinues Armed Police Presence6 of 15
7. After Nationwide Outcry, The Charges Were Upgraded & The 3 Others Arrested7 of 15
8. Minnesota Terminates Contract With Police Dept.8 of 15
9. The Demand To End 'No Knock Warrants' In Louisville, KY After The Murder Of Breonna Taylor9 of 15
10. Councilwoman Ella Jones made history when she was elected as the first Black mayor of Ferguson, Missouri.10 of 15
11. Sweeping Changes Across The State of IowaSource:Getty 11 of 15
12. Colorado police accountability bill passes first hurdleSource:Getty 12 of 15
13. Louisville Police Are Now Required To Wear Body Cameras After Breonna Taylor ShootingSource:Getty 13 of 15
14. A 176-Year-Old Slave Auction Block Has Been Removed From Fredericksburg, Virgina14 of 15
15. Alabama City Removes Confederate StatueSource:Getty 15 of 15
After 176 Years, A Virginia City Removes A Slave Auction Block From Its Downtown was originally published on rickeysmileymorningshow.com