Brandy’s surprise performance at the Mandela Sports and Culture Day in Soweto, South Africa last weekend turned out to be a big letdown.
According to concert goers, the singer walked off the stage after just two songs because only 40 people showed up to the 90,000-seat stadium.
“I have no words for what I just witnessed…,” South African musician Kabomo tweeted. “Brandy [just] performed to an empty stadium. With the stadium lights on.”
“People didn’t know there was a concert after the games. No one knew Brandy was around. Maybe a 40 people audience,” he added. “It was late. People didn’t know there was a concert after the games. No one knew Brandy was around.”
Kabomo went on to describe the scene as “depressing” with just “people there on a random Tuesday.”
In a statement to the TheYBF.com, Brandy’s rep defended the superstar, explaining that the event was not properly advertised.
“She was booked at the last minute to fly to South Africa to support a “cause”–not a concert. It was a cause that honored “Mr. Nelson Mandela” and there was other performers on the bill besides Brandy. She attended because she wanted to support the foundation and Mr. Mandela…a man who has changed history.
The rep added, “This whole story has been blown out of proportion and Brandy has sold out shows across the world including South Africa before.”
- Like Old School Cincy 100.3 on Facebook to stay updated with the latest news and original content!
- Little Known Black History Fact: March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom
- PM BUZZ: Mariah Shuts Down Nick Cannon; Kevin Hart Blasts Angry Women; Drake Looks Like Blue Ivy & More…
- Lee Thompson Young Was Going Through Depression at the Time of Death
- Will President Address 50 Year Economic Gap Between Blacks & Whites At March?
- Lee Daniels Perpetuates Black Myths That Need To Die
Brandy Performs To Empty Crowd In South Africa, Singer’s Rep Responds was originally published on hellobeautiful.com