NAACP Image Award nominee and star of FOX’s hit show ‘Empire’ Jussie Smollett is the new host of 8th season of AfroPoP, the ultimate cultural exchange premiering on Monday, January 18, on WORLD Channel. The series of indie docs about life, art and culture across the African Diaspora is presented by American Public Television.
How he’s celebrating Martin Luther King, Jr. day:
“I’m going to Riverside church, Ryan Coogler is putting on something, I’m going to be singing Strange Fruit. It’s going to be Michael B. Jordan, Chris Rock, Anika Noni Rose, J. Cole…it’s going to be a lot of dope people.”
On the recent “white-out” at the Oscars:
“It’s a shame. I think despicable is kind of a good word. we’re not talking about a time when they were films that weren’t worthy. We had the product out. A the end of the day racism is alive and well in this world. I would rather attack it other ways than a gold statue,” he said.
Jussie also has a new show premiering on WGN America called Underground, which follows the story of a group of slaves who plan an escape from a Georgia plantation. John Legend serves as Executive Producer and the series stars Journee Smollett-Bell, Christopher Meloni and more.
Watch the trailer below.
Celebrity CEO's: Stars Who Run Their Own Business Empires
1. Nicki MinajSource:Nicki Minaj Tumblr 1 of 16
2. Will SmithSource:PR Photos 2 of 16
3. Justin TimberlakeSource:AP 3 of 16
4. Mary Kate & Ashley OlsenSource:Instagram 4 of 16
5. Dr. DreSource:PR Photos 5 of 16
6. Tyra BanksSource:AP 6 of 16
7. OprahSource:AP 7 of 16
8. Birdman8 of 16
9. Tamar BraxtonSource:Instagram 9 of 16
10. Kim KardashianSource:PR Photos 10 of 16
11. Jay ZSource:AP 11 of 16
12. Jessica SimpsonSource:PR Photos 12 of 16
13. RihannaSource:AP 13 of 16
14. BeyonceSource:Tumblr 14 of 16
15. LalaSource:Instagram 15 of 16
16. DiddySource:Instagram 16 of 16
Click the link above to hear the entire interview.
Jussie Smollett Hosts 8th Season Of ‘Afro Pop’, Calls Blacks Snubbed From Oscars ‘Despicable’ was originally published on blackamericaweb.com