Tennis superstar Serena Williams responded Monday to racially insensitive comments about her unborn child’s skin color made by the captain of Romania’s Fed Cup team, ABC News reports.
Williams posted this message on Instagram, via ABC News:
“It disappoints me to know we live in a society where people like Ilie Nastase can make such racist comments towards myself and (my) unborn child.”
The 23-time grand slam winner announced to the world on April 19 that she was 20 weeks pregnant. Rather than congratulate Williams, 70-year-old Ilie Nastase reportedly said, “Let’s see what color it has. Chocolate with milk?” according to Romanian and British media.
Since Williams’ fiancé, Reddit co-founder Alexis Ohanian, is White, Nastase is apparently commenting on the racial identity of the tennis star’s unborn child.
The tennis champion also called out Nastase on social media for “sexist comments” toward three women during Fed Cup matches over the past weekend.
According to the BBC, British player Johanna Konta was in tears on Saturday over the incident, which resulted in the International Tennis Federation (ITF) suspending Nastase.
Williams said, “I humbly thank the ITF for any consideration given to all the facts in this case. They will have my full support,” ABC News reported.
Nastase says he has nothing to apologize for regarding his remarks about Williams’ baby. “I want to know what word I used is racist?” he told the Associated Press.
Nastase did admit, however, that he lost his cool during his team’s match against Britain but thought the punishment was “crazy.”
Meanwhile, the ITF is investigating his remarks about Williams.
SOURCE: ABC News, Associated Press, BBC
Serena Williams & Reddit Co-Founder Alexis Ohanian Are Engaged
Serena Williams Slays In 2017 ‘Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue’
Simone Biles' Most Adorable Instagram Moments
23 photos Launch gallery
1. Simone shows off her medals
1 of 23
2. But there's still always school work to do...
2 of 23
3. That moment when Simone became the Female Olympic Athlete of the Year
3 of 23
4. Even Simone eats pizza too!
4 of 23
5. The US team at the 2016 Pac Rim Championships
5 of 23
6. Simone goes tumbling over her protein powder
6 of 23
7. How Simone spends Mother's Day
7 of 23
8. The last Team USA campfire before the Olympics
8 of 23
9. Beach day!
9 of 23
10. They're just so adorable...
10 of 23
11. This is how Simone takes a rest day
11 of 23
12. Breakfast of champions: Special K
12 of 23
13. Simone kills it at the 2016 P+G Championships
13 of 23
14. But there's more work to do in the gym before Rio
14 of 23
15. Simone throws the first pitch for the Houston Astros in her signature style
15 of 23
16. Simone shows just how strong she is by climbing the rope
16 of 23
17. The amount of tape a gymnast needs to compete at the Olympics
17 of 23
18. Behind the scenes are the 2016 Rio Olympics
18 of 23
19 of 23
20. The US women's gymnastics team showing off their national pride
20 of 23
21. More patriotic leotards from the US women's gymnastics team
21 of 23
22. Simone called this picture "podium training"...these girls are coming for gold!
22 of 23
23. Simone heads to qualifiers where she will smash the competition
23 of 23