Jenifer Lewis has a very important role in Hollywood – she’s played the mother of everyone from Morris Chestnut to Paula Patton. On Black-ish, she’s not just Anthony Anderson’s mother, she’s Laurence Fishburne’s ex, which makes for some truly hilarious moments. The irony is that in real life, Lewis isn’t old enough to play any of the actor’s actual mothers, but it works onscreen.
Lewis says she enjoyed The Wedding Ringer, the fourth movie she’s been in with Kevin Hart.
“I love Kevin Hart,” says Lewis. “He’s so cute, I love him so much. The Wedding Ringer is great. If you go to YouTube, there’s a very R-rated video of me and Kevin Hart acting the fool. I love Kevin Hart and [co-star]Josh Gad. Who could ask for anything more?’
Lewis has also played onscreen with J. Anthony Brown in Think Like A Man but sadly, he’s killed off before Think 2, something she had nothing to do with. “Jenifer Lawrence is innocent.”
As for her role on Black -ish, Lewis says. “I was on a yacht in Greece when they called and told me they wanted me for Black–ish. I said they better have some green-ish.’
With one liners like that, it’s no surprise that the streets think she’d be a perfect foil for Cookie on Empire and would love to see her play Cookie’s mother. As its said that Empire will delve more into Cookie’s backstory for Season 2, there could be something to that.
“Ya’ll know I’d love to roll up there as Cookie’s mother and carry on. I’m going to be honest with you and say that that combination scares me. The Deltas had a page on Facebook and they nominated me, so thank you Deltas and tell Lee I’d love to play Cookie’s mama.”
While Jenifer Lewis doesn’t get nearly the awards or publicity other actresses get, she is hoping that her own show is coming in the near future. In the meantime, the work keeps coming.
“I honor myself every morning,” says Lewis. “I’m here to tell you you can’t get nothing until you’re ready to get it. I’ve done 259 episodic shows, 63 movies, four Broadway shows and toured all over the world in concert. I’m just sitting in a state of grace. I’m love what I do and always have. That’s just the way I roll.”
Grown & Sexy Ladies of Television
1. Tracee Ellis Ross, 42, is starring on "Black-ish."1 of 16
2. Taraji P. Henson, 44, is the bodacious Cookie on 'Empire.'2 of 16
3. Angela Bassett, 56, stars on "American Horror Story."3 of 16
4. Viola Davis, 49, stars on "How To Get Away With Murder."4 of 16
5. Wendy Williams, 50, is the host of her own daytime TV show.5 of 16
6. Gabrielle Union, 42, plays Mary Jane Paul on the BET hit "Being Mary Jane."6 of 16
7. Kerry Washington, 38, is fixer Olivia Pope on 'Scandal."7 of 16
8. Tichina Arnold, 45, plays a ballplayer's mother on "Survivor's Remorse" on Starz.8 of 16
9. Alfre Woodward, 62, plays Madame President on "State Of Affairs."9 of 16
10. Shanola Hampton, 37, stars on "Shameless.'10 of 16
11. Gina Torres, who is also married to Laurence Fishburne, stars in 'Suits' as Jessica Pearson. She turns 46 in April. (PR)11 of 16
12. Tamara Tunie is 55. She stars on Law & Order (SVU) as the Chief Medical Examiner, Melinda Warner (PR).12 of 16
13. Tamara Taylor is 44. She stars on the drama 'Bones' as Dr. Camille Saroyan, head of the Forensic Division. (PR)13 of 16
14. Nicole Murphy, star of "Hollywood Exes" is a fly 47.14 of 16
15. Jada Pinkett Smith, 43, plays Fish Mooney on 'Gotham.'15 of 16
16. Halle Berry, 48, starred on "Extant" on CBS.16 of 16
Jenifer Lewis Wants To Play Cookie’s Mama, Talks Working With Kevin Hart In ‘The Wedding Ringer’ was originally published on blackamericaweb.com