We’re not sure how this slipped under the radar, but Oprah Winfrey is back on TV. You may remember the last time she was on TV was probably on The Women Of Brewster Place years ago – at least aside from her long-running daytime talk show. But we guess either she was reinfected with the acting bug after The Butler or she thought she might as well bring her star power to her own network.
Oprah stars along with Lynn Whitfield and veteran actor Larry David on the new scripted show Greenleaf which is heading to TV in June on OWN. Although there’s been little advance word about plots, the trailer indicates a soapy approach to megachurches behind the scenes.
Newcomer Merle Dandridge plays Grace Greenleaf, who’s been following in her preacher father’s footsteps, but not without problems. She returns home to Memphis after her sister is killed only to find out SOMETHING IN THE MILK AIN’T CLEAN. Dramatic emphasis ours, but we’re sure there is plenty of it on the show.
David and Whitfield play the Bishop James Greenleaf and Whitfield is Lady Mae Greenleaf of Calvary Fellowship World Ministries, a Memphis megachurch. Oprah plays Grace’s aunt (and James’ sister) Mavis McCready, who seems to have a few issues with her brother and the First Lady. Lamman Rucker plays Jacob Greenleaf.
Greenleaf debuts over two nights starting on Tuesday, June 21, and then on Wednesday, June 22. The 13 episode season will air on Wednesdays.
Will you be watching?
Oprah! Here Are 20 of Our Favorite "O" Moments
1. A look back at some of the most memorable interviews from the queen of media, Oprah Winfrey.1 of 20
2. Oprah conducted the show's first interview with a sitting president and 1st lady2 of 20
3. In 2009, Whitney Houston talked with Oprah about her struggles with drugs.3 of 20
4. In Jay-Z's 2009 appearance on the show, they debated the use of the n-word.4 of 20
5. In the most watched interview in TV history, in 1993, with Michael Jackson.5 of 20
6. Dave Chappelle talked about why he walked away from 50M.6 of 20
7. Magic Johnson was a guest on Oprah 15 years after being diagnosed with HIV.7 of 20
8. Will Smith graced The Oprah Winfrey Show 15 times before her final season.8 of 20
9. "Mentor-mother-sister-friend," Maya Angelou came on the show.9 of 20
10. Oprah considers Nelson Mandela's visit to be a great honor.10 of 20
11. Tiger Woods coined the term 'Cablinasian' to describe his mixed heritage.11 of 20
12. Terry McMillan and her ex Jonathan Plummer discussed the end of their marriage.12 of 20
13. Tina Turner came of the show numerous times. Another of Oprah's favs.13 of 20
14. In 1996 Oprah spoke with the Little Rock Nine about Central High in Arkansas.14 of 20
15. Halle Berry was a guest on Oprah over 20 times.15 of 20
16. Denzel Washington is one of Oprah's favorite guests.16 of 20
17. Tyler Perry revealed the abuse and molestation he suffered as a child.17 of 20
18. Patti LaBelle was on the Oprah show over 20 times since her first visit in 1991.18 of 20
19. Mike Tyson was a guest on the show and talked about the death of his daughter.19 of 20
20. Michael Jordan talked to Oprah about finally retiring from NBA.20 of 20
Oprah’s Back On TV In Megachurch Soap For OWN [WATCH] was originally published on blackamericaweb.com