The recent crash of a vehicle with a streetcar has many concerned about safety. Review these rules for your own protection.
CLICK HERE for more on this story.
- You can drive on the streetcar tracks, but some streetcar tracks change lanes, so don’t follow the tracks.
- Streetcars can not stop quickly or maneuver out of the way of vehicles and pedestrians, so give them lots of space.
- Based on special signals, the streetcar may move at different times than other traffic.
- Watch for streetcars before turning.
- Park your entire vehicle within the white lines, including mirrors.
- Look before opening your door.
- Never block the track area.
- Do not drive in lanes marked “transit only.”
- Do not cross in front of a moving streetcar.
- Step over tracks and walk things with wheels over tracks at an angle to avoid getting the wheels stuck.
- Don’t jaywalk.
- Look and listen when near streetcar tracks.