A former sheriff in Arkansas who was forced to resign over his racist views and language replete with the N-word was reportedly being shown “compassion” for his racism and has been allowed to keep getting paid even though he is no longer officially a law enforcement officer.
Yes, you read the right. Ex-Arkansas County Sheriff Todd Wright was apparently secretly recorded speaking his racist mind in public, at one point even calling a woman a “n*gger lover,” prompting a court to ask for his resignation.
To be clear, Wright was not fired, nor was that ever an apparent consideration for his racism while leading law enforcement efforts in a county that is 25 percent Black. Instead, Wright was encouraged to resign, out of apparent compassion for him. It was also “out of compassion” that the “court also unanimously passed a motion to allow Wright to continue to be paid on contract labor through September 30” even though he won’t actually be laboring at all, according to local news outlet the Stuttgart Daily Leader.
The recording provides a much clearer picture of Wright’s racist offenses, which took place during a conversation with a woman at a local grocery store. Audio of the conversation hit social media last week and shows that Wright used the N-word multiple times out of anger once he found out the woman had spoken to a Black man at the supermarket.
“Why you got to holler at f*cking n*ggers when I’m around?” he asked her at one point on the 24-second recording.
Listen to the full recording below. Graphic language is used along with the racial slurs.
Wright appeared in court Aug. 28 to insist that he was not racist and was vehement about not resigning. However, after a friend asked him to quit, Wright tendered his resignation right there on the spot — presumably because he knew he’d still at least get paid. It was unclear what Wright’s salary was.
The racist incident in Arkansas County serves as a microcosm for many police departments around the country.
The Brennan Center for Justice released a report last week about how the “government’s response to known connections of law enforcement officers to violent racist and militant groups has been strikingly insufficient.”
While it is unclear if Wright is part of a larger racist group, his own angry and racist words on the audio recording that led to his resignation — not firing — is clear that his views are aligned with racist groups, at the very least.
This is America.
Violent White Folks Who Were Arrested With Loving Care By Police
1. Thomas Kinworthy accused of killing Black cop, shooting another1 of 24
2. Dalton Potter allegedly shot a cop and another man2 of 24
3. White suspect physically attacking officer3 of 24
4. Kyle Rittenhouse, Kenosha Jacob Blake shooterSource:Twitter 4 of 24
5. White supremacist who beat a woman on video5 of 24
6. West Hollywood shooter6 of 24
7. Gregory and Travis McMichaelsSource:Glynn County Sheriff's Office 7 of 24
8. Anthony J. Trifiletti, shot an unarmed Black manSource:Saint Paul Police Department 8 of 24
9. Matthew Bernard, Killed Three People9 of 24
10.10 of 24
11. Mark Boisey11 of 24
12. Lorne BrownSource:NBC Miami 12 of 24
13. Patrick Crusius, El Paso Mall Mass Shooting Suspect13 of 24
14. Aaron DeanSource:Tarrant County Jail 14 of 24
15. Amber Guyger15 of 24
16. James Holmes16 of 24
17. Michael Mattioli17 of 24
18. Dylann RoofSource:Getty 18 of 24
19. Matthew Sloan Punched And Spit On Police...19 of 24
20. Assaulted Police And Even Chased Them...20 of 24
21. Shot At Police At Trump Tower...21 of 24
22. Shot At Police At Walmart -- And Was Let Go...22 of 24
23. Man Holds Black Man At Gunpoint And He Is Calmly Arrested...23 of 24
Sheriff Who Quit Over Calling Woman ‘N*gger Lover’ Kept On Payroll ‘Out Of Compassion’x was originally published on newsone.com