Leon Jenkins, the president of the Los Angeles chapter of the NAACP, has resigned. His decision came after much scrutiny over the organization’s connection to Clippers owner Donald Sterling.
According to the Associated Press, the national leader of the civil rights organization announced Jenkins’ departure on Thursday. In his resignation letter, Jenkins said “the legacy, history and reputation of the NAACP is more important to me than the presidency.”
“In order to separate the Los Angeles NAACP and the NAACP from the negative exposure I have caused the NAACP, I respectfully resign my position,” he wrote.
Before he stepped down, Jenkins planned to honor Sterling with a lifetime achievement award later this month. Of course, this decision was made before audio of the 80-year-old’s racist rant hit the web. The organization rescinded the award, and during a press conference on Monday, Jenkins announced that Sterling’s donation would be returned as well. “There is a personal, economic and social price that Mr. Sterling must pay for his attempt to turn back the clock on race relations,” he told reporters.
As a result of this unfortunate situation, NAACP said it plans to develop “guidelines for its branches to help them in their award selection process.”
We’ll keep you posted as more details on this developing story arise.
Do you think Leon Jenkins needed to resign? Weigh in with your thoughts in the comment section below.
Check Out This Gallery
The Most Racist Moments Of 2013
1. The Most Racist Moments Of The Year1 of 23
2. Black ESPN Sportscaster Receives Racist Letter From A ‘Fan’ [PHOTO]2 of 23
3. White Man Slaps Baby & Tells Mom To ‘Shut That N*gger Baby Up’3 of 23
4. Dear, Lisa Lampanelli: You Will Never Be A N*gga, So Stop Saying It4 of 23
5. LL Cool J ‘Accidental Racist’ Lyrics: ‘In Its Proper Context, It Makes Sense”5 of 23
6. Twitter Reactions To Jamie Foxx’s Trayvon Martin T-Shirt Prove Racists Love Still The Internet6 of 23
7. 11-Year-Old Mexican-American Singer Taunted By Racist Tweets After Singing National Anthem7 of 23
8. Wait, What?! Paula Deen Wants Slaves Serving At Her Dinner Party + 3 Of Her Most Racist Quotes8 of 23
9. Lies Racists Tell: Paula Deen’s Sons Claim She’s No Racist & Even Taught Them Black History9 of 23
10. Stacey Dash Defends Paula Deen + 5 Other Non-Black Celebs Who’ve Used The N-Word10 of 23
11. WTF?! Rush Limbaugh Decides That He Can Now Say, ‘N*gga’ [VIDEO]11 of 23
12. Justin Bieber Drops ‘N-Word’ On New Track?12 of 23
13. Salon Writer Calls Eric Holder President Obama’s “Inner Ni***r!” Did He Go Too Far?13 of 23
14. New Cheerios Commercial Starring An Interracial Couple Causes Big Stir14 of 23
15. Italy’s First Black Minister Attacked & Called A ‘Symbol Of A Hypocritical, Do-Gooding’15 of 23
16. First Indian Miss America Receives Support After Racist Backlash16 of 23
17. WTF?! 21-Year-Old White Girl Boasts Racist African Bday Party On Facebook [PHOTOS]17 of 23
18. Don Lemon, Your Mother’s Advice To You As A Child Will Not Save The World From Racism [VIDEO]18 of 23
19. Sorry Not Sorry: Barneys Offers Their ‘Deepest Apologies’ By Hiring A Civil Rights Expert19 of 23
20. Kanye West Gives Middle Finger To Black Community: Wears Confederate Flag To Barneys20 of 23
21. GOP Thanks Rosa Parks For Ending Racism & ‘Black Twitter’s’ Responds With Jokes21 of 23
22. New Miss France Celebrates Her Mixed-Race Heritage In The Midst Of Racist Backlash22 of 23
23. The N-Word Vs. African American?! TMZ Launches Poll On What To Call Black People Because Of Suge Knight's Comment23 of 23
Donald Sterling Scandal Pushes NAACP LA Chapter President Leon Jenkins To Resign was originally published on hellobeautiful.com